Thursday 22 July 2010

My 18th cake

My love for baking mostly started when I decided to make my own cake for my 18th birthday last year.
I looked around the internet for ideas and decided to make a 3 tiered cake with different coloured fondant on the different cakes and cut out fondant shapes to decorate.
I made 3 separate cakes with a simple victoria sandwich cake recipe that I found in one of my mum's old cookbooks:
125g of butter
125g of caster sugar
2 eggs
125g of self-raising flour
1 tablespoon of hot water

This recipe makes 2 layers, which are then sandwiched together with buttercream and strawberry jam, yum (: so I repeated this another 2 times.
I used different 3 different sized tins so that the cakes would be different sizes and look better when placed on top of each other.




I then rolled out my fondant icing and cut some of it into a circle for the top half of the cake, and some into a strip, to go around the edge of the cake. I mixed some apricot jam with hot water and used a brush to put some on the fondant, this helped it stick to the cake.





I did the same with the next 2 cakes, and then used cutters to cut shapes out of the fondant icing.



Once decorated, I placed the cakes on top of each other and decorated more with icing flowers that I'd bought and lots of other decorations (:





No comments:

Post a Comment